WorshipTeamCoach blog has moved to the new site. Click to go to WorshipTeamCoach.com

Mangling Our Banner?

So Christina Aguilera botched the words to the National Anthem last night at the Super Bowl. One news site had a poll asking if "we forgive her?" Forgive her? Sure. I botch words every week when I lead. It's the running joke on my worship team. I even flub up words to the songs I write. I'm just glad it's not in a giant stadium in front of 103,000 people. And on national television. And come on, the Star-Spangled Banner? If most of us were honest, we'd be digging deep to solo the Star-Spangled Banner and hit all the right notes and words.

The issue for me wasn't the missed words or some alleged lack of patriotism.

Have you ever heard someone sing the national anthem and just have a strong sense of patriotism well up? That didn't happen for me last night. As she was singing and after she was done, I pretty much was thinking about her voice and persona. She out-shined the song.

She's a pop star - and for her to be larger than the room she's in or the song she's singing is just part of the game. So no ill feelings for Christina.

But it makes me wonder, "How often do I or my team outshine the song that is being sung to our Banner?"

No comments:

Post a Comment