WorshipTeamCoach blog has moved to the new site. Click to go to WorshipTeamCoach.com

Walmart Worship, I

I needed softner salt. My town's water can turn a black t-shirt charcoal gray in a single wash. A musician needs to protect his black t-shirts.

My wife needed some spices for something she was making. Two diverse items + one trip = Walmart.  

Crud.

After getting the spices, I made my journey across the retail labyrinth to where I thought the salt should be. First mistake: thinking. I shoulda' asked.

After something that resembled the children of Israel wandering in the desert, I finally found a human with a navy blue shirt and asked him to point me to Sinai, er, softener salt.

The Garden Center. The Garden Center...of course! Wow, I'm dumb. I actually can see my lawn and garden from the basement window next to my water softener, so I can't believe I missed this one.

But seriously, it makes perfect sense for Walmart to stock their salt in the Garden Center. There's plenty of room for Walmart to maneuver the heavy pallets in and out with fork lifts and pallet jacks. The heavy duty shelving made for mulch and fertilizer are also an ideal place for Walmart to put the salt. It all makes sense. For Walmart.

How much do worship teams do for the worship team?

  • Let's stick with these songs because we know them.
  • Let's do a bunch of new songs because we're bored.
  • Let's keep pushing the monitors hotter and hotter because we all need a bit "more me". 
  • Let's keep these music stands high and center so we can see the music. We just don't have time to learn the song.
More brutal yet...how much do I, as the leader, do for me?
  • This key is far more comfortable for me.
  • Let's pursue excellence. (Read: Don't make me look bad)
  • We need to do this song, it really moves me.
  • Let's just let her sing, because telling her the truth would make her (actually, me) uncomfortable.
The worship team serves the congregation. The leader serves the team. Anything else and we're putting softener salt in the Garden Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment